Friday, January 21, 2022

RIP Meat Loaf

This one hurts.

About three decades ago, I discovered Meat Loaf's best-selling album, "Bat Out of Hell." (Yes. I know. I was late to the party. Shut up.)

Once I found it, though, I played it to pieces. Seriously. Once or twice a week for weeks--months--on end. Then my interest spidered out to some of his other albums--"Bat Out of Hell 2: Back into Hell" and "Dead Ringer," mostly.

But my attraction to his music was the same: Love lost and won on an operatic scale, yet his voice and the arrangements by Jim Steinman made it all seem so intimate, immediate.

I tried turning friends on to Meat Loaf's music, with little success. That was okay. I understood. His music wasn't for everyone. No one's music is, really. But Meat Loaf's music? Was definitely for me.

No cause of death has been released. Marvin Lee Aday was 74 years old.

No comments: