Friday, October 16, 2009

The Cat in the Window

A couple of weeks ago, I was talking with Superbadfriend (as I often do), and she mention that, when she and her husband dropped me off after our excursion to the Cascade Drive-in, she saw Ms. Christopher sitting in one of the living room windows.

"Which window?" I asked. The one farthest to the right (as seen from outside), she said.

That made sense. That had been Christopher's favorite window.

It also confirmed something I believed for some time--that Christopher's spirit still pads around La Casa del Terror.

Sometimes, I feel a cat jump on the bed when Olivia is already peacefully burrowed under the covers next to me.

Sometimes, I hear a cat sharpening its claws when Olivia sitting next to me, waiting for me to offer some of the milk from my Miller's Pub pint glass.

Sometimes. I even catch a glimpse of white fur out of the corner of my eye, but when I turn to look, there's nothing there.

It was a year ago today that Ms. Christopher died, and I still miss my sweet old bird. But she's still here in spirit, at least.

Oddly comforting, that.

No comments: