Thursday, March 31, 2022

This Week's Travel Reading, Dresden Files Edition

It had been a spell (pun intended) since I dipped into the literary world of The Dresden Files, Jim Butcher's series of novels about Harry Dresden, private eye and wizard.

Yes. Wizard.

See, Harry investigates supernatural occurences in and around Chicago--that's why my friend Margo recommended the series to me in the first place, knowing that that's my hometown--and winds up throwing down with vampires, werewolves, evil wizards and even, occasionally, dragons. Butcher doesn't always get the geography quite right--putting locations too close to one another, for example--but he captures the vibe of my city nicely while still telling compelling--sometimes frightening--tales.

Side Jobs is a collection of short stories that take place between the novels and feature Harry facing off against any number of things that go "bump" in the night. They're lots of fun and brisk reading while riding the El or bus, though not quite as involving as Butcher's novels are. There is at least one, maybe two of those I haven't gotten around to yet.

They're next.

No comments: