Monday, November 9, 2020

RIP Alex Trebek

During some of the darkest times in my recent life--my recovery from my heart attacks, my episode of self-harm, my periods of unemployemnt, and, most recently, my lockdown due to COVID-19--I had one constant that kept me sane and challenged my intellect: Jeopardy, the TV game show hosted since 1984 by Alex Trebek.

Trebek was urbane and sophisticated, but never condescending or mean-spirited. He presided over the show in a calm, friendly way, like he'd be a cool guy to have a drink with after work.

Yesterday, Trebek died after a year-plus battle with pancreatic cancer at the age of 80.

I have no doubt that Jeopardy will go on with a different host, just as so many other game shows have gone on or been revived with a new face in place.

But it just won't be the same without Alex Trebek at the helm.

No comments: