Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Shocktober 10/28/20

If you've never heard of the Shaggs, don't worry--they're pretty obscure. I only found about them through "The Steve & Garry Show" back in the '80s, when radio personality Steve Dahl played their music with fair regularity, especially at this time of year.

Why? Well, first of all, they're pretty bloody awful.

No. Seriously. This is likely the worst album you've ever heard. The Wiggins sisters--Dot, Betty, Helen and Rachel--try to play instruments and sing, but are mostly successful at neither. Their father, Austin Wiggins, thought they had talent, though, and got them bookings in their native New Hampshire. He also got them into a recording studio to produce their first album, Philosophy of the World. It got little airplay at the time and faded into obscurity.

Why, you might ask, am I bringing up the Shaggs?

Because one of their songs is entitled "It's Halloween."

That was always one of my favorite songs to play around this time of year. I mean, who can resist lyrics like "It's Halloween, it's Halloween, it's time for scares, it's time for screams, it's Halloween, it's Halloween"?

Wait...where are you going? Come back here, you!

Anyway...this album got a lot of play on my CD player back in the day. And now? Thanks to eBay, I can play it again. It may not be good, but it's good for me--and that is good enough.

1 comment:

JB said...

Okay, so now you have me curious to hear "It's Halloween". You're just wrong for that.