Thursday, June 25, 2020

Every Picture Tells a story 6/25/20



I recently wrote about King of Hearts, an album by the great Roy Orbison that was released four years after his untimely death at age 50 in 1988. 

At the time I wrote that piece, I thought that was his last album of original music--that King of Hearts was the last word on the voice behind "Crying," "Blue Bayou" and "Oh Pretty Woman."

Once again, I was wrong.

I discovered One of the Lonely Ones on Amazon while ordering King of Hearts from an Amazon Marketplace seller. I didn't know anything about the album--had never even heard of it. So I bopped on over to Wikipedia for the skinny on this "lost" Orbison album.

According to Wikipedia, here's what happened:

Apparently, Orbison recorded One of the Lonely ones in 1969 following the deaths of two of his sons in a house fire in September of the previous year. In July 1969, Orbison completed recording for the album, but his record company at the time, MGM, decided to shelve One of the Lonely Ones because of a contract dispute.

And there the album sat. For 40-plus years. 

It was even thought to be lost entirely, but Roy's sons found the master tapes and here I am, headphones on in Mom's living room, listening to "new" Roy Orbison songs for the first time and, as I always do when listening to his music, struggling not to shed a tear or two.

Thanks, Roy's Boys, for finding this truly hidden gem.

No comments: