Friday, November 30, 2018

An Update on Olivia


It's been a while since I've posted an update on Olivia, my calico kitty who, about six years ago, was diagnosed with CKD--Chronic Kidney Disease (also known, somewhat alarmingly, as Renal Failure). The last time I mentioned her disease, it was well under control with a combination of fluids, medications and gravy-intensive cat food.

Then? I had a heart attack. A couple, actually. On the same day.

I would up in the hospital for several weeks, during which time Olivia went to live with my brother in the apartment above Mom's living space. She's lived there ever since, mostly because she hates other cats and would have been in perpetual warfare with the other kitties Mom has roaming her house.

I missed not seeing Olivia on a daily basis, but was comforted by the fact that she was doing well--better, in fact, than she'd done with me. She was no longer receiving medications or fluids for her CKD, yet she was thriving. She actually put on weight for a while. My brother would look her dead in the eyes and say, "You're fat!" To which Olivia would reply as she always replied: "Mauw!"

Now, though, she's not doing so well. Her appetite is off, and she's losing weight. She was never a big kitty to begin with, but now she's light as a feather when picked up. And my brother, who never wanted her upstairs in the first place? He's worried sick about her.

So this morning, I have to make an appointment to take Olivia to the vet. I don't know what the results will be, though it's probably safe to assume that her CKD is back with a vengeance. I don't know what will happen--or even if she'll be coming home again.

Please keep Olivia in your thoughts this weekend.

No comments: