Monday, September 10, 2018

(Almost) That Time of Year Again...

This morning on my way to work, I couldn't help but notice the autumnal snap in the air. The leaves on the trees are still green, but a strong northerly breeze sends the unmistakable signal: Fall is almost here.

As regular readers might know, I love Fall more than any other season. The coolness. The colors. The horror movies on every station that still shows movies.

And in the stores? All Halloween, all the time.

Been that way for years now--They don't even wait for Labor Day anymore. Now? Pumpkins and witches and spiders galore can be found on display in every store. From the neighborhood Family Dollar (a converted Woolworth's, if I'm not mistaken) to the local Targets (seems you can't shake a broomstick without hitting one) to even Walgreens and CVS, the summer stuff has been put away, and shrieks and screams from all sorts of window hangers abound.

Most years, I've held to a strict routine: Wait until October. Wait until the month of Halloween. Wait.

This year? No waiting.

This year? I'm ready.

NOW.

So drag out your jack o'lanterns, dust off your rubber rats (sorry, JB) and string those cottony white spider's webs across front yards and windows. Hang your cardboard vampires and werewolves from your doors. Dangle those skeletons in your entry halls.

I'm ready for you all. Bring. It. On.

1 comment:

JB said...

I'm glad I was safely seated when I read this entry, otherwise I would have fallen down! You used to HATE it when retailers brought Halloween before very late September! But, like you, I'm feeling all things autumn early this year...and I've decided not to fight it. In fact, my brother,sister and I went to Cracker Barrel last Sunday, where I bought a really cool Halloween witch figure at their general store. She's both charming and fierce!

By the way, it was entirely wrong of you to mention the rubber rats. I think you know the one I despise most of all. *shudder*