Friday, August 6, 2010

Great America: The Whizzer

Great America's website lists the Whizzer as "the world’s only spiral lift coaster," which I guess means that it's the only coaster that twirls slowly into the air before dropping you off a cliff (albeit a relatively gentle one in this case).

Whatever. It's one of the relatively few rides left from when the park first opened in 1976, and even though rumors circulate nearly every year that "this season may be the last for the Whizzer," the ride just keeps on going. No wonder--it's a lot of fun, the line is reasonably short (Will and I waited about 20 minutes), and the cars are heavily padded like little mobile lounge chairs.

Long may you run, Whizzer.

5 comments:

JB said...

My brother and I LOVE the Whizzer (do you remember when it was called Willard's Whizzer? I have no idea who Willard was. I hope rats weren't involved.), and it was the first coaster he and I ever rode together--me sitting between his legs. How the hell did we fit into that car together?

superbadfriend said...

I don't like the wooden roller coaster at G.A. Last time we went on it, I was terrified that we were going to fly off the tracks. GAH!

JB said...

Ah, but Superbadfriend, that's part of the thrill! LOL!

superbadfriend said...

I will go on it again, but I won't like it. I will maybe like it 3% maybe 5%. Hmmph

Adoresixtyfour said...

So what rides DO you like there?