Wednesday, April 15, 2009

April Showers

I realize, of course, that in order for flowers to rise from the ground in proper abundance in May, there must be rain in abundance in April. I get that. Really.

Must it be so perpetually gloomy, though?

On my way into the building where I work, I ran into a coworker with the same lament: We were both tired of cool and damp. We wanted warm and dry--and sunny. Don't forget sunny.

The forecast is for clear skies tomorrow and significantly warmer temperatures by Friday. Then? Cold, wind-driven rain for Sunday and Monday.

Spring in Chicago is never a constant thing. Must it tease me so, though? Or should I enjoy what I've got while I've got it, know so many others have it worse? I still have a roof over my head to protect me and Olivia from the rain and cold, and our home isn't flooded.

April may be gloomy, but it's not been cruel. Not yet. I'll get by.

2 comments:

JB said...

Yes, it has been gloomy, but all that Spring-young-man's-fancy stuff has been kicking in anyway. Not as strong for me as in Autumn though, thank God. I'm getting too old for this mess.

superbadfriend said...

In my eyes, this is the longest winter ever in the history of Chicago. There are no birds. No leaves. NO FLOWERS? Spring? HAH. Hell maybe? Frozen over.