Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Sick Old Bird Update #3

The news on my sick old kitty, Ms. Christopher, is, for the most part, good.

I took her to a followup appointment with the vet Saturday morning, for which we were about an hour late because I had trouble getting a cab and wound up hopping on the El to get her there. Normally, getting a cab in my neighborhood isn't a problem; Wednesday morning, I was able to land a cab within five minutes--at 6:35 a.m. Saturday morning, though, about half a dozen cabs passed me, most with passengers. Two, however, had no passengers, looked straight at me...and passed me up anyway. I even had a witness for one ("You know he saw you!" said the passer-by, and he was right). I understand if a cabbie is off-duty or on his way to a call, but if that's the case, then 1) turn your light off so potential passengers know you're not available, and 2) throw a call to your dispatcher to let him/her know that you've got a prospective rider at such-and-such intersection.

Once we made it to the animal hospital, though, things went smoothly. The vet was very pleased with Christopher's progress, even though she had lost weight since the previous visit. (Such fluctuations are common after surgery, she said, so she wasn't alarmed at a couple tenths of a pound falling off.) The mouth was healing fine, as was the hole where she pulled out the feeding tube. The vet also checked the whites of her eyes, which were, in fact, still white, indicating that the jaundice had not advanced.

The vet's main concern was Christopher's weight--she'd lost quite a bit while ill, and she needs the added nutrition and fluids to help her liver and kidneys steady out. Our next appointment is in a couple of weeks--we'll see where she is then.

In the meantime, Ms. Christopher is my baby again, sitting in my lap while I watch "Svengoolie," cuddling under my arm in bed as the Bears blow another second-half lead, coming to the door when I get in from work or shopping or whatever. And if I have anything to say about it (and it appears I do), she'll be my baby for some time to come.

Many thanks to everyone who sent prayers, good vibrations and virtual hugs to me and Ms. Christopher--we both appreciate it very, very much.

6 comments:

JB said...

Way to go, Ms. Christopher! You're a fighter and a diva.

You've done well throughout this emergency, too, bro. I know how much you love the Girlish Girls, so it was diificult for you to see Ms. Christopher in such poor shape.

That cab situation? I suspect the unhired drivers saw the pet carrier and decided on a no-pets-today policy. In my experience, most cabs are not as clean as most pet carriers.

JB said...

And that photo of her majesty is just too sweet. Look at that little face...

superbadfriend said...

Awww I am so happy for the Girly Girl. And for you . I know how you are feeling and I wish there was more I could say or do. Right now, I will be the voice of reason and not the one crying along with you. Because man, I sure want to, but that would be so not good for either of us, or Ms. Christopher.

Prayers are still headng your way. That and lots of love.
xoxo

Adoresixtyfour said...

Thank you for the words of support, kids. I'm still so very worried about her, but I know I need to be patient with her recovery. It won't happen overnight. We both just have to hang in there--thanks for hanging in there with us.

turtle tracks said...

I would just about kill to be watching "Svengoolie" right now. Berwyn?

Also, I know I already e-mailed you about it, but you can try offering Ms. Christopher some chicken or turkey baby food. Nice and soft and easy to eat.

belsum said...

Yay! I'm so glad she's doing so much better!