Thursday, August 6, 2009

Kiddieland, Part 9

My favorite attraction at Kiddieland was the Little Dipper, the cutest little wooden rollercoaster you've ever seen. The ride has only 700 feet of track and lasts only a minute, but it's everything you'd want from a coaster--fast, bumpy and fun.

The ride is operated with ginormous brake levers. I mean, look at those things--they're taller than most of the riders!

The Little Dipper was also the attraction that made me the saddest about Kiddieland's closing--while most of the rides can (and will) be disassembled and sold, I can't see how anyone could take the Little Dipper down and reassemble it somewhere else. Most likely, it'll simply be demolished along with the other permanent structures of the park.

It's so difficult to create something--anything--that creates so many moments of happiness and enjoyment for decades. And so easy to tear it down.

3 comments:

JB said...

I'm afraid you're right about the future of the Little Dipper, bro. The thing I love about the ride is that it's a coaster parents can ride with their smaller kids and everyone gets that thrill only an old-school wooden coaster can give. Can you imagine how many parents have experienced their kid's inaugural coaster ride on the Little Dipper? Such cool history.

Adoresixtyfour said...

I know. Many of the rides in the park really are for wee ones, but the Little Dipper can be enjoyed by all (though I will admit that I ducked a couple of times--I MIGHT NOT have been decapitated, but better safe than sorry).

Ceilidh said...

I love the Kiddieland pics but began to wonder if anyone took you for a stalker after a while ;-)