Thursday, May 28, 2009

There Go the Hawks, the Mighty Blaaaaackhawks

Hockey season is officially over in Chicago.

Considering, however, that it's been a very long time since hockey season even mattered in Chicago, one must give credit where it is most certainly due. The Blackhawks, a mostly young and inexperienced team, wasn't expected to go this far--all the way to the conference finals for the first time in over a decade--and, with the exception of Game 4, in which the much-despised Detroit Red Wings slapped the snot out of the Hawks 6-1, this was an exciting series to watch, with three of the five games going to overtime, including last night's loss.

(I was at Mom's house for dinner last night, and we watched most of the back half of Game 5, including both goals scored in regulation and the amazing save by Hawks goalie Cristobal Huet, who blocked a Red Wings shot with the blade of his right skate why lying on his "tummy"--yes, the announcer for Versus, presumably an adult talking to adults, actually used the word "tummy" to describe the action.)

And, given the relative youth of the current squad--the team captain is only 21--the Blackhawks should be a force in the NHL for years to come.

1 comment:

JB said...

I really do not understand the game of hockey. I've yet to find anyone who understands the game and is willing/able to explain it to me. Mostly I have found that many Chicagoans just aren't into hockey, perhaps because the Blackhawks have not done well for so long and didn't receive much media hype until this season.

Despite my hockey ignorance, I found myself following the news of the finals, hoping the team would go all the way. I'm a Chicago boy, so I like to see all the home teams do well.