Monday, April 6, 2009

Spring Cleaning

Over the weekend, I began the long, involved process of emptying La Casa del Terror of items I no longer need or want.

I started with the CD collection. How many CDs do I won? Couldn't tell you. When was the last time I listened to individual CDs? Again, couldn't tell you. If it's not currently in the frequently malfunctioning RCA 5-CD changer tray, then chances are I haven't given it a spin in a while. That makes just about everything in the collection fair game.

Still, one must do these things in increments, so I chose 15 CDs to head out the door first, including Fergie's "The Dutchess," the Juno soundtrack and all my Brian Wilson CDs. I managed to sell off 10 of the 15 and got back enough to pay this month's electric bill. Next? The DVD collection gets trimmed (though fear not, regular attendees of HMB--none of the movies in that group will be heading out the door).

I decided, further, to extend my spring cleaning to my electronic homes, starting with the "Saved" folder for my personal e-mail address, which I may be shutting down soon (it's tied to my home Internet account, which is effectively defunct due to a crappy phoneline, so that money may go elsewhere).

There are several dozen e-mails in there, including the death notices for Ms. Christopher, Gigi and Kaytee, along with the many related responses and expressions of condolence.

There was also a group of e-mails to and from an old friend, who, at the end of 2007, I'd had great hopes of renewing friendship after contact had been abruptly cut off years before; we'd traded e-mails at the end of that year, after she'd become fabulously successful in her chosen field, and I'd thrown a line of congratulations her way.

Unfortunately, 2008 began with silence, which continued for months even though I sent her messages regularly--some long and prosaic, but most short and to the point. Hopes were revived in July, when she answered a couple more e-mails, but then the silence resumed and carried through to the end of the year. I'd hoped for something, even an acknowledgment of a holiday greeting or a "Happy New Year" message, but no such luck.

At the end of the first week of January, I composed the following e-mail:

When you updated your bloggity on 12/30, I posted a brief comment: "Glad to hear you're OK. Miss you."

Afterward, I realized that I could have posted the same comment at any time within the last five years, including 2007, when I had some hope that we could renew our friendship. But after another year of emails, the overwhelming majority of which went unanswered (unread?), it would take optimism bordering on hubris (or, more aptly, dementia) to hope that you would answer any message, much less this one.

God knows you're busy--hardest working woman in show business. I know that. But I also know lots of busy people, and most of them find time to drop me a line, if only to say, "Haven't heard from you in a bit. How are you?"

Maybe you didn't want to communicate, even electronically. Maybe you thought I had an agenda. In that case, you thought right. I
did have an agenda:

I wanted my friend back.


The e-mail was sent January 7.

There was no reply.

4 comments:

belsum said...

Let's just say I too have received no responses to any emails, text messages, voice mails, or MySpace messages.

But I did receive a wonderful and completely unexpected gift of baby clothes a few months back so who knows what's up?

superbadfriend said...

JB, with no disrespect to your opinion...we have no idea what is going on in her life. Please be patient and let her ride through this time on her own terms. She has been through a lot over the years. Adore, I am so sorry you are hurting, I understand, I really do, but nothing changes the past and you both had an amazing friendship. I know you might want to punch me in the schnoz for writing this, but Belsum is right. No one knows whats up. And our friend is still our friend. Please take some more time to just let this pass without anymore worry. Do what you must but don't give up on a friend. :(

JB said...

SBF, no disrespect to your opinion either, but we've all been through a lot at various times in our lives. I, for one, have been going through a very difficult time emotionally for the last several years. Never during any of it have I totally dissed my friends. I'm sorry, but I fail to believe she is unable to ever contact her friends. The gift for Belsum's baby was very sweet --but it was also very easy. You state that nothing changes the past; I disagree. When the person I shared a past with dismisses me for no apparent reason, that past is emotionally altered. I really wish her well. I am not a man to wish ill toward someone because they hurt my feelings or those of someone I love. And I would be among the first to forgive her actions if SHE SIMPLY TALKED TO THEM and said what's going on. You may say that she does not owe anyone an explanation. If she does not owe her friends an explanation for remaining distant, do they owe her the benefit of the doubt?

Adoresixtyfour said...
This comment has been removed by the author.