Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thursday is Bring Your 200-Year-Old President to Work Day

When I was in elementary school, I was fascinated with Abraham Lincoln.

It may have been because he was "from" Illinois, though he was actually born in Kentucky (200 years ago this very day) and lived in Indiana for awhile before moving to the state that would eventually take his name for its motto--"The Land of Lincoln."

It may have been because he was a tall, homely gentleman who was nonetheless fiercely intelligent and eloquent--I could relate.

It may have been because he died so young--only 56 when he was shot in the back of the head at Ford's Theatre on the evening of Good Friday, April 14; he died the following morning.

I think, though, that my fascination chiefly stemmed from the fact that, in the face of the worst of times--and the American Civil War certainly qualifies as "the worst of times"--he retained his optimism and determination that this country could heal from even the deep wounds of secession and slavery, that this country could not merely survive, but thrive anew.

It may have been because of some of these things--that eloquence, that optimism, that determination--that caused Lincoln's name to be invoked so many times during the most recent presidential campaign in regards to (and many times by) another lawyer who was also "from" Illinois (though originally born in Hawaii) and running for this nation's highest office--Barack Obama.

Happy Bicentennial, Mr. Lincoln.

1 comment:

JB said...

I wonder if every man who grew up in Illinois was fascinated by the history of President Lincoln. He certainly was one of my historical heroes, and I was a HISTORY FANATIC, baby! In my 20s I became even more interested in the tall man when I read that he may have had a male lover. Abe was just a cool dude.