Friday, October 10, 2008

Shocktober: Squeak for Your Treats!

At lunchtime today, I snuck outside to enjoy some crisp autumn air and the buzz and hustle that is downtown Chicago. I needed to get out of the office and let my eyes adjust, for but a few fleeting moments, to the wonder that is natural light.

This didn't last long, though, for near my workplace, where an empty storefront (formerly occupied by an "express" version of one of those gargantuan office supply stores) had stood, now a Halloween-themed outlet beckoned. I didn't bother with even token resistance.

It turned out to be more of a costume shop than a tchotchke place--great if you wanted to dress up like Michael Myers, Princess Lea (Slave Girl version), a saucy witch or a naughty nurse, not so much if you just wanted another pumpkin or skeleton for your casa (like I don't have enough of those already). Aside from a really cool, really affordable Guy Fawkes mask, there wasn't much there to hold my interest.

Of the many costumes on display, only one truly perplexed and appauled me: The Giant Rat costume.

Can someone--anyone--explain the appeal of this costume to me? Is there a child out there anywhere who would request or willingly submit to being dressed as an enormous rodent (and not of the Mickey Mouse or Ratatouille varieties)? Is there a parent out there anywhere who would think this is "cute" or "funny," as opposed to, say, "guaranteed to be brought up repeatedly in expensive therapy sessions in about 15-20 years"? Why not just dress the kid in a t-shirt with 'KICK MY ASS, PLEASE" in big block letters across the chest? Even if I hadn't recently had a bad experience with a rat, this would seem like a bad idea.

I left without buying anything, but scarred nonetheless.

2 comments:

JB said...

Okay, that costume is just f'd up and down. An adult freak may wish to appear costumed as a rat and hence never again in his/her life be invited to another Halloween party. Fine. Cool. Sexy. But a kid? T'ain't right.

belsum said...

Wait - it's a children's costume?!?! Bizarre doesn't begin to cover it.