Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Migration Continues

Slowly but surely, I'm moving more and more old files over from my old site to this one. It's a more interesting process than I thought it would be. I'm looking at some of these essays for the first time in years, and I honestly don't remember having written some of them, while there are others that I remember all too clearly and would rather forget.

Doesn't work like that, though. You don't get to pick and choose what your memory retains and what it doesn't. And if you could, what would you choose? Would you delete the bad experiences? Most people would at least be tempted. But wouldn't you then also lose the subsequent experiences that were affected by those bad experiences? The lessons learned? The mistakes not made? The bad times avoided?

Your experiences make you who you are. Editing them down isn't an option. So I'm still moving over stuff, the bad along with the good. Just because some of it makes me cringe or cry doesn't mean it'll affect you, the reader, whomever you are, the exact same way (And I truly wonder where my readers are coming from since I set up this bloggity--Flushing? Ottawa, Ontario? Fort Lauderdale? Seattle? I don't know anyone in any of these places...do I?)

At least I'm writing new updates (like this one) more often than I did on the old site. There, I would post two, maybe three times a month. (This past January, when I posted one poem a day, was an exception.) Last month? I wrote nine updates. This week? Counting this one? Three.

Yes, I'm patting myself on the ass for this. Somebody has to. And I deserve it, dammit.

No comments: