Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Hack. Wheeze. Repeat as necessary.

It was about a month ago that I came down with the flu. Sickest I've been in years. Chills. Fever. Aches in every part of my body. (Yes. Every.) Nasal and Chest congestion. Eye irritation.

And a cough. A constant, hacking, wheezing, body-shaking cough. Sometimes, this cough was actually useful, shaking loose the congestion in both my head and chest and making me feel momentarily like I wasn't chained to the bottom of the deep end of the swimming pool. More often than not, though, it just added to my misery, making my throat raw (especially first thing in the morning), making my ribs ache like I'd just gone ten rounds with Ali, and keeping me awake most of the night when rest was the only thing that would help me beat this thing.

It took a couple of weeks and lots and lots of Theraflu, but I finally got to the point where most of my body felt normal (well, as normal as I ever feel), the body aches went away and I could sleep more than an hour at a stretch.

Except, of course, for the cough.

It's not as bad as it was, nor as constant. It doesn't keep me up at night and doesn't double me over during the day. It's worst first thing in the morning and right before bed, popping up only occasionally throughout the hour in between.

But it's still here.

I'm told by friends who've had the same flu that the cough is the last symptom to leave, that it lingers for weeks like a houseguest who just can't take a hint. It doesn't require cough drop after cough drop like it did for so many days. It doesn't keep me from doing whatever I want to do anymore, like going to movies or dinner.

But. It's. Still. Here.

And I'd like it to go away. Now.

1 comment:

superbadfriend said...

Scott stayed home with the flu today. He never really got over the last one. The coughing. Constantly coughing. It is a vicious cycle.

I hope your cough goes away soon.

:-)

Lemon with honey. Isn't a rememdy but it sure feels exotic sliding down yer throat.