Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Deep Freeze

Since I had no choice but to go to work on Tuesday, I opted to try and work around the resurgent Polar Vortex and go in to work later.
I still had to get up early to feed and medicate Olivia, but at least I didn't have to venture out into the -11 air. Not yet, anyway.
Once I did get up and get out into the winter wonderland, I found a world that was still, calm and empty. No people on the streets. Few cars. Even the birds and squirrels seemed to have vanished, but for a lone duck floating through the clouds of ice crystals (not steam, as most people assume) on the North Branch of the Chicago River.
The Brown Line train (which showed up at the station immediately upon my arrival) was nearly empty. Granted, it was the middle of the day, but it didn't seem like many folks had ventured far from their homes. Only the lunatics. And me. (Yes. Well.)
When I reached downtown, I crossed the river again--and this time found it frozen. Only in the most severe conditions--such as this harsh winter has presented--can cause that to happen.

1 comment:

JB said...

The river looks better ice-cold. People don't.