Monday, April 16, 2012

My Sick Little Bird

As most of you may or may not know already, Olivia is in the hospital. She hadn't been eating well lately--mostly finishing her food at times, but more often than not leaving half or more of the food untouched--and wasn't her usual, energetic self. And she'd noticeably lost weight. So I took her to the vet and got her checked out. The results were not good--Olivia has kidney failure.

The vet decided to keep Olivia in the hospital on an IV at least overnight to rehydrate her, flush her kidneys and hopefully get her numbers down (the blood work showed high amounts of very unhealthy things in addition to anemia). When followup tests Saturday morning showed Olivia's numbers were still high, the vet decided to keep her in until Monday, but let me visit with her for over an hour on Saturday. Olivia looked a bit more lively--"brighter," to use the vet's word--and was definitely happy to see me, as I was to see her. Sitting on the floor, stroking her still-shiny fur and feeling that motorboat pur under my palm set me at ease, as did the cleaning job she did on her legs when she used the litter pan and accidentally got some urine on them. (She may be sick, but she's still vain.)

The vet will rerun the blood test this morning and see where we're at. She'll come home sometime this week, I'm sure. I just don't know when.

In the meantime, many thanks to all of you who've kept both of us in your thoughts and/or prayers. This is not over by any means, and I have no idea how I'm going to pay for any of it, but getting Olivia home and feeling better is the most important thing right now.

1 comment:

JB said...

I have not stopped and will continue to send positive thoughts and prayers out for you and Olivia.