Wednesday, June 23, 2010

One More Thing About Jonah Hex

In my review of Jonah Hex yesterday, I neglected to mention that I saw the movie at the Norridge, the same suburban theater where, nearly 24 years ago (sweet Baby Jesus, has it been that long?), I saw Howard the Duck, another big-screen adaptation of a comic book that didn't quite get it right.

In the case of Howard, the filmmakers stripped away most of the character's distinguishing traits--in the comics, he was a foul-mouthed (or would that be fowl-mouthed?), cigar-chomping misanthrope, whereas the movie version was so bland that he could have been any character in any generic summer action flick.

Still, given the choice between seeing Howard the Duck or Jonah Hex again, I'd opt for Howard--at least he wasn't stuck with inexplicable mystical powers or Gatling guns mounted on his horse.

1 comment:

belsum said...

You'd opt for Howard again? Ouch.