Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fools

I'm sure everybody on the Brown Line train, which sat on the curve that feeds into the Belmont station for at least ten minutes without an announcement from the conductor (who'd previously been quite vocal, calling out to already harried commuters to "use the first available door!") explaining or apologizing for the delay, felt that they were fools, April or otherwise. I know I did, though I knew the delay was due to the latest phase of the Brown Line Reconstruction Project, which has reduced the number of southbound tracks between Belmont and Fullerton from two to one.

I was running late anyway, regardless of CTA's determined (and rather successful) efforts to complicate my commute, almost entirely due to my own stupidity.

Last night, I decided to set my alarm back by 15 minutes to compensate for CTA's machinations. Good plan. Bad execution--even if you reset your alarm to wake yourself up earlier, you still have to flip the switch to activate that alarm. Otherwise, you wake up about 45 later than you would have anyway, wondering why it's so bright outside.

2 comments:

belsum said...

And setting my alarm back never works for me anyway because I just hit the snooze more.

superbadfriend said...

I am a snoozer too. I snoozed so much one day, the alarm gave up and didn't turn back on after I had tapped it 10 times.

Now we don't use an alarm. We are perpetually late! I hope my boss doesn't read this.