Friday, February 22, 2008

Cellular Disruption

I hate cell phones. Really, I do. I hate listening to people carrying on long, intimate, detailed discussions on them when I'm riding the train in to work in the morning or just walking down the street anywhere. I also hate nearly being run over by drivers yakking away instead of having both hands on the steering wheel and actually paying attention to where they're going. (Talking on a cell phone while driving is allegedly illegal in Chicago, yet I see literally dozens of violators every day. Why bother passing a law you have no intention of enforcing?)

I only got one, after years of resistance, because my friends wanted to be able to get ahold of me when they wanted to do stuff and because I wanted my mom or brother to be able to get ahold of me if anything happened to her. (She turns 70 this year, so it's not an unreasonable concern.)

So far, though? My cell phone has gone largely unused. Mom refuses to call me on it, instead leaving messages on my landline answering machine wondering where I am and why I'm not returning her calls. My friends use it occasionally, but we aren't spur-of-the-moment folks anymore--improvised plans are few and far between.

And now, for extra fun, my cell phone has decided to, at random and for no discernable reason, turn itself off. It's not a matter of charging it up--both times this has happened, the phone had been fully charged the night before, it takes days for it to run out of juice, and hooking it back up to the charger didn't turn it back on. It just...stopped.

This happened again Tuesday. Tuesday night, I left it hooked to the charger all night. Wednesday morning? Nothing. Left it home when I went to work. Came back home. Still dead. Hooked it back up to the charger. Nothing...until about 9:45, when it decided to wake up again. Again, no explanation.

This is more trouble than it's worth.

5 comments:

turtle tracks said...

The only reason we finally all got cell phones is because my sister was going to school at night and my mom was back in Florida, and I wanted us all to be able to keep tabs on each other. It worked out great except that my mom never turns her damn phone on and my sister never answers hers because she gets shitty reception at her house.

What I really hate is when people use their phones at the store. I'll be standing in line and the person behind me will be yacking away. Really loudly. Even when they get up to the cash register. How rude is that!? At the post office near my mom's condo, they have signs basically saying "hang your fucking phone up before you step up to my damn window, asshole." At first I was happy to see the sign, but then it just made me sad that people can't figure that out on their own.

And don't get me started on texting.

The only reason I like my cell phone is because my friend recently sent me an animated wallpaper of a goalie stretching on the ice.

Adoresixtyfour said...

Being behind someone at a grocery store who's on a cell phone is about as much fun as listening to somebody else have dental work done. I so respect shops that tell patrons to turn off their damn phones.

turtle tracks said...

How about the people that walk around the store with ear pieces? I thought there was a crazy epidemic going on until I realized people could buy ear pieces to talk on their cell phones, hands-free. I'm technologically stupid, I guess. I still don't know what the fork a blue tooth is, and I could care less.

Adoresixtyfour said...

Do those people talking hands-free realize that they look like they're talking to themselves or their imaginary friends? I'll bet they don't.

superbadfriend said...

what's wrong with Imaginary Friends? Hmmm?

:-)