Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Power of Proofreading

Since I work in downtown Chicago, I often take the opportunity on my lunch breaks to walk around and take pictures of the world-famous architecture around me. One of my most frequent subjects is the Chicago Theatre, long one of the greatest movie palaces in the world, now a live-performance venue that often hosts big-name music and comedy acts.

Yesterday, I wandered over there to take a picture of the marquee featuring the Beach Boys, who will be playing there Monday the 21st and Tuesday the 22nd. Something wasn't quite right, though: I checked online to be sure the show hadn't move due to the NATO Summit (which will clog streets here over the weekend and into Monday). Nope: According to both the theater's website and the email blast they sent out later Wednesday afternoon, the first Beach Boys show is indeed still on for Monday the 21st.

This is an important thing for me to know--I have a ticket for that Monday show.

When I passed the Chicago Theatre this morning, the marquee was still wrong, so I posted a comment on their Facebook page: "The marquee says the Beach Boys are playing the Chicago on May 20 & 22--it should be May 21 & 22. Anybody got a spare '1' for the marquee?" Shortly thereafter, they commented back "We found '1'!"

At lunchtime today, I wandered over to the Chicago marquee again. This is what I saw.

No comments: