Tuesday, January 31, 2012

On the Way to Work This Morning...

January has come to its end--please don't ask me where it went, for I do not know--and the last of the Christmas trees and holiday wreaths litter alleys all around my neighborhood.

The presence of the wreaths is logical, I guess--many people keep them up well into the New Year, and even the heartiest of the "live" wreaths has to dry up sometime.

I've always wondered about those trees, though: Do they sit in people's yards and gangways for days before someone summons the energy and will to drag them to the trash, or do people really keep formerly living trees up in their living rooms this long?

Granted, I saw a fully decorated white Christmas tree peeking out of the second-story window of an apartment building just last week, but that tree was clearly artificial. It may have been up well past the reasonable time to take it down, but it posed no potential hazard beyond annoyance. I've been there--once left my artificial three-footer up until around Valentine's Day.

But leaving up a real tree for that long? That's just asking for disaster.

1 comment:

JB said...

Still a few windows in my neighborhood with Christmas trees peeking out of them. Those trees are, as you point out, certainly artificial. I haven't seen any dead trees in the alleys though. Somebody in your hood has a hard time letting go of Christmas!