Monday, January 9, 2012

On the Way to Work This Morning...

Christmas has long since passed. New Year's Eve and Day as well. And now, January 6--whether you call it Epiphany, Three Kings Day, Orthodox Christmas or the 12th Day of Christmas--is receding in the rear-view mirror. So the time has come to take down the city tree at Daley Center Plaza. Ordinarily, this would fill me with melancholy.

However, since I was already filled with melancholy this holiday season, for various reasons, and was none too pleased with this year's official Christmas tree, the city crews winding up the lights and bringing the tree down will be met with a listless shrug.

2 comments:

JB said...

I'm never melancholy during the holidays (I'm sorry you were, bro), but I am, as I am every year at this time, sad to see them come to an end. The removal of the "Christmas tree" at Daley Plaza, however, is all good with me.

Dee Williams said...

I'm sorry, too, that you were filled with melancholy, especially since you brought such joy to me and JB at Christmas. I enjoy your frank, vivid writing, brother, and now that I'll be visiting my own blog a little more often, I'll get to savor yours more as well.