Monday, April 18, 2011

RIP Gretchen

That's her on the left with JB at Millennium Park a few years ago.

You always think there will be enough time to get together again. To snort at each other's jokes again. To watch you pick Italian beef off a pizza because you think it's really mushrooms again. To cry or drink Manhattans or light up or bowl a strike or two again.

But that's not always the way. Sometimes, there isn't another "or" to be had.

Sometimes, you don't get a chance to say "goodbye" to someone who was always there for you. And sometimes, you have to write words that you absolutely hate, even when no words are adequate.

Miss you, Gretchen.

3 comments:

superbadfriend said...

:( RIP Gretchen...

JB said...

Gretchen, I love you. I'll always cherish the memory of the great fun I had with you "back in the day" when we were young and very foolish and loving every damn minute of it. When thinking of your death makes me feel sad, as it does today, I promise to think of your life and to feel selfishly happy that I was blessed to share so many moments of it, really wonderful moments, with you. Rest in peace, dear lady.

Dee Williams said...

I've had the pleasure of catching up with this wonderful blog. I've seen the good--the scrumptious strawberry--the bad--the heat seeping though the concrete and steel of an older building--and the ugly--Gretchen's death. I never met Gretchen, but I heard about her, a lot, and I felt as though I knew her. We're losing our friends much too frequently, something you expect when you're seventy, not forty or fifty. I'm so sorry.