Friday, May 29, 2009

Poe Street

I must be honest--I didn't even know Chicago had a street named after Edgar Allan Poe until I stumbled across it on the way to the Wolf Camera on Clybourn Avenue.

It's on the way home--well, sort of--and since Wolf/Ritz closed their Loop location, it's the most convenient location for me to go to for burning my CDs and getting my photography blown up for those occasions when I actually make a sale. (In this economy, those occasions are fewer and farther between than they used to be, but I still have a couple of friends whose apartments contain virtual galleries of my work.)

You'd think one of the greatest American writers would merit something more than a truncated, jagged afterthought--Poe Street runs barely a full block and occupies space that would otherwise be an alley--and other famous writers like Dickens and Shakespeare have proper sidestreets bearing their names.

I suppose, however, that it's better than not being remembered at all.

No comments: