Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A More Perfect Union

I've never understood the opposition to gay marriage--it's not right or cool that I can get married (not that there's a woman out there demented enough to have me) when my gay and lesbian friends cannot--especially when those who oppose it cite it as a threat to the institution that is heterosexual marriage.

The greater threat to heterosexual marriage, it has always seemed to me, is the divorce rate amongst married heterosexuals, yet I've not heard and conservative legislators or commentators suggest, even in jest, that we either ban divorce or make "as long as you both shall live" anything more than a vow between legally consenting adults.

I have, however, read the words of Justice Mark Cady, a Republican appointee, in his written opinion for the seven-member Iowa Supreme Court:

"We are firmly convinced the exclusion of gay and lesbian people from the institution of civil marriage does not substantially further any important government objective. The Legislature has excluded a historically disfavored class of persons from a supremely important civil institution without a constitutionally sufficient justification."

Simple. Blunt. Eloquent. Beautiful.

Today, Vermont also legalized gay marriage.

Illinois? It's your turn.

1 comment:

JB said...

Justice Cady redeems the ridiculous Republicans of his generation. I'm in love with Justice Cady. If he proposes to me, I will accept. I can think of worse things than marrying an older, very successful, wealthy, highly intelligent moderate.