Friday, March 20, 2009

Friday is Bring Your Big Freakin' Dragon to Work Day

When the movie Dragonheart came out over a decade ago, toy company Kenner put out the usual accompanying action figure line, including all the major characters (you too can own a mini-Dennis Quaid!) and, of course, the dragon himself, Draco (as voiced in the film by Sean Connery).

The movie did well enough at the box office and on VHS to spawn a couple of direct-to-Blockbuster "sequels," but the toy line tanked, with the figures clogging the discount bins at major retailers for years to come.

For the most part, that wasn't exactly a shame--the toys were pretty boring. There was, however, one toy in the line that didn't deserve such a fate: The deluxe Draco figure, who came in a big box and had to be assembled for display and play. He is supposed to make sounds--he roars, his heart beats, and he speaks a couple of lines of dialog in a voice this is most decidedly not Sean Connery. Unfortunately, the voice box on this guy don't work that well anymore; you have to hold him really close to your ear to hear what he's saying.

Still, he looks great standing atop my kitchen cabinets--or, for today, at my workstation--and has an impressive wingspan (not visible in the photo above, although you can see a coworker's Yoda action figure attempting to tame the savage beast.)

7 comments:

belsum said...

Having the dragon clutching Yoda makes it art.

JB said...

You mention that I can own a mini-Dennis Quaid. That's all very well, but do you know of a way for me to own a life-size Dennis Quaid, preferably the real Dennis Quaid?

Adoresixtyfour said...

I'm afraid I cannot help you with that, brother, anymore than you can deliver the real Diane Lane to my doorstep. Sigh.

JB said...

Diane Lane got it going on, dude. She is one of the few Hollywood actresses over 40 who is constantly working. And she's fricking hot! She has an extremely loyal following of men who have had a crush on her since she and they were teenagers. You're one of them, yes?

Adoresixtyfour said...

Yes.

turtle tracks said...

I have a huge girl crush on Diane Lane. Just sayin'.

Also, I wish I had a dragon to bring to work.

JB said...

Yeah, turtle tracks, I'm totally feeling you with the Diane Lane crush thing. I have a gayboy crush on her. Just sayin'.

I wish I worked in the sort of laidback office in which it's okay to have a big-ass dragon on one's desk. I'd bring the big-ass Gozilla that Ed gave me and have it chill on my big-ass commissioner's desk. Alas, it's not meant to be, so I will continue to take joy in Ed's weekly pics.