Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Weather or Not

It would be easy--and by "easy," i mean "exceptionally lazy"--to write about the weather every day.

I mean, it's certainly an fascinating topic--for me, anyway--and when extremes are within reach--like, say, the snowiest winter in Chicago history, or the coldest--the historical implications hold the attention.

However, I can see how my widely spread readership might find it a little dull, if not silly.

Like, for example, my friends on the other side of Lake Michigan, who regularly get dumped on by the Michiana snow belt.

Or my readers in Minneapolis, who probably crack up when the words "coldest day in 13 years" spill out of a Chicagoan's quivering mouth and reply, "Shit, we just call it Thursday."

Or my correspondents on the East Coast, for whom a Midwestern winter would likely be a vacation compared to the "noreasters" that spin feet of snow all over them.

Or my West Coast peeps, who must contend with earthquakes, mudslides, wildfires and even the occasional volcano.

Snow? Cold? Not so bad by comparison.

1 comment:

JB said...

"Snow? Cold? Not so bad by comparison."

The only icy fingertips and unattractively runny nose I am warm enough to feel sorry for this frigid morning are my own. My apologies to those on the East and West Coasts, north of me in Minneapolis, and on the other side of Lake Michigan.

I'm not salty, just cold and hating it.