Monday, October 13, 2008

Sick Old Bird Update #6

The appointment with the vet Saturday morning did not go well.

Due to vomiting spells Thursday and Friday nights, Ms. Christopher lost even more weight--she's now down to 7.5 pounds. Worse, she'd been very lethargic Friday night, not wanting to eat or socialize or do anything but sit in one spot and stare into the distance. It looked like she was getting ready to check out. It scared me. I cried. A lot.

Worse (yes, it does get worse before it gets better), when the vet palpated Christopher's abdomen, she felt a mass she hadn't felt previously (probably because Chris weighed more the last time the vet palpated her). A mass usually translates to a tumor. A growth. Cancer. But right now, that's not even her biggest problem. She's in no shape for surgery or chemo--she needs to gain weight or, at the bare minimum, stop losing it.

The vet and I discussed medications. The vomiting and loose bowel movements were costing her any gains in weight or nutrition, so the vet changed her antibiotic to an antidiarrheal and added and antivomiting tablet to the mix. I also mentioned that she seemed better after receiving steriod shots, so the vet assigned a twice-a-day steriod (which, as a side benefit, also stimulates appetite and thirst).

Lastly, the vet was very concerned with Chris's hydration, so she asked if I'd be comfortable giving subcutaneous fluids at home--in other words, hooking Chris up to an IV every other day. I said I'd have no problem with it and did a successful test run on the examination table.

I took Chris home by cab, let her loose in the living room of La Casa del Terror and laid down to cry for a while.

I had previously arranged to go see Quarantine with Dee and JB (Christopher's original owner), so I got up, showered off and gladly embraced the distraction. After the movie (which is really good in a "If Cloverfield had been about zombies instead of a giant fucking monster" kind of way) and a fine dinner at the Daily Bar & Grill, I went home, gave Chris her evening meds and syringe of stinky sick kitty food and settled in for Earth vs. the Flying Saucers on Svengoolie.

I cried some more, but my tears were slowed a bit by Chris herself--she still wasn't inclined to eat much on her own, but her bowel movements had steadied out (looking more like real poop instead of pure liquid), she didn't throw up at all (and hasn't since Friday night), and, most importantly, I think, she was much more alert and active than she'd been the previous couple of days. She was walking around the apartment more and came over to jump in my lap, where she stayed for quite some time.

Sunday morning, I got up early to feed both kitties and medicate Chris, and afterward I brought Chris back to bed with me. She curled up under my left arm, purring loudly and smiling noticably. She stayed only for an hour before jumping down from the bed, but for that hour she was the Christopher I knew and loved so much, not the shambling ghost her illness had made her. I still cried, and really had a hard time holding it together at Mom's house last night (her cats, sensing my emotions, all took turns spending time with me, inadvertently making things that much worse). Back at La Casa, though, Chris was still alert, pooping closer to normal and not tossing her kitty cookies.

Even better, she made more of an effort to eat, and returned to the bowl several times to nibble a little more. If nothing else, she's acting more like her normal self for the moment--and for the moment, I'll take it.

This morning, after feeding and medicating, I gave Christopher her first subcutaneous fluid dose, with the patient sitting on a blanket atop a couple of storage containers and the IV hanging from the coat rack. It's really pretty easy and entirely painless to her:

1. Pinch the skin on the back to form a tent.

2. Insert the needle at a 45-degree downward angle (so as to not punch through the skin or accidentally hit bone or muscle).

3. Adjust the needle to be sure it's all the way in.

4. Start the fluid flowing and make sure the cat sits still during the procedure.

All pretty straightforward--except for the one point I forgot to check off my list:

5. Make sure your other, younger, more rambunctious cat is secured in another room so she can't "assist" during the procedure.

Woopsy.

Just after I'd unlocked the fluid flow control and started the hydration process, Olivia grabbed the dangling line and tried to run off with it. After I yelled something suitably awful at her and chased her away, I brought the line up out of her reach and had to reinsert the needle (it had come loose enough to send a couple tablespoons of fluid down Christopher's back and onto the comfy blanket). Fortunately, we were very early in the process, so I was able to get the rest of the fluid into Chris without incident.

When I left La Casa this morning, I made a point of petting both kitties on my way out the door, but especially my sick old bird. She's being so good, trying so hard. Neither of us is ready to give up yet. So we won't.

7 comments:

turtle tracks said...

I'm sorry about the mass, Ed. Did the vet recommend an ultrasound? At least the new meds are working and she has perked up a bit.

When I worked at the vet, there was a cat who came in every so often (once a year?) for chemo. She is still alive today. I have personally never had an animal go through it, but from what I understand, they don't react to it the same way humans do (baldness, vomiting, blahhh).

SubQ fluids are a snap when the patient is willing. I have to give Spooky 150 mls every day and she does NOT stand for it. If you've got the time, doing it the I.V. way (dangle the bag from a coat rack or other high structure) is fine; I learned how to do it by squeezing. It's faster that way (and doesn't hurt the critter, though they probably don't like the sensation). Here's a tip for you: Chris might like it if you warm up the bag of fluids beforehand. Don't microwave it! That would be bad. Instead, set the bag in a large bowl and fill it with almost-hot water. Let it sit for a few minutes. Add a bit of hot water every now and then to keep the temperature warm.

This way, it's not a shock to the poor dear when the water starts squirting into her back. If it's pretty warm in Chicago right now, you probably don't have to worry about it, but when it hits the 50s here, this house turns into an ice cave. We always warm up the fluids for Spook.

I'll probably see uarantine when it comes to McMenamins ($3 movie theater/bar/hotel/concert venues all over the Portland metro area), but I'll just say again: I'm so jealous you get to watch Svengoolie. I wish they'd come out with a DVD set or something.

All my best to you and Chris.

Adoresixtyfour said...

Thank you for the well wishes and advice, Katie--you know more about vetirnary medice than anybody else reading this bloggity.

Hadn't thought about warming up the IV fluids. Since I didn't give Chris the SubQ until just before I left for work, I could set it in a bowl of warm water while I take my shower.

The vet and I didn't even discuss ultrasound or even chemo in-depth for one simple reason: If we can't stop her weight from plummeting (she's lost two pounds since her surgery a month ago, and she was underweight then), we're going to lose her. If we can stop the weight loss (or, hopefully, reverse it), we'll take the next step and talk in-depth about the mass and what we can/should do about it.

How is Curly Joe doing?

turtle tracks said...

You're welcome, Ed. I understand about getting her on an upswing before starting treatment. One step at a time, right?

Curly Joe is okay. I'm 95% certain he's got a hernia, but my sister's telling it's not serious unless he starts having trouble pooping. So I've got that to freak out about now. I'm taking him for his two week recheck on Friday and will ask the doctor about it then. If he needs another surgery, I'm going to jump off a bridge.

I have started a blog for him (haha!) because I didn't want to clog my running journal with puppy stuff and because he's a special dog and a lot of people want to hear about how he's doing. Hence:

http://weshuntgiveup.blogspot.com/

I took him to have his staples removed the other day and was delighted to find he had gained two pounds. I think the l/d, fish oil supplements and Hepato Support are really working for him. He's finally gaining weight and his fur looks and feels healthy. Oh and I'm also going to talk to the doctor about what other meds or supplements he should be on. I recently found out my friend's dog has been living with a shunt problem for about four or five years now. He's not eating special food or getting meds for his condition, and he seems to be doing well, so this gives me hope for Curly.

Adoresixtyfour said...

Yay for Curly Joe! That sweet pup deserves his own blog after all he's been through in his young life. And now a hernia, too? Poor kid.

Christopher is getting lots of love, support, positive vibes and well wishes from all over the place, along with stories of how other pet owners had to go through similar traumas with their small furry loved ones. We're hanging in there. Thanks again.

superbadfriend said...

:(

Prince Gomolvilas said...

Hugs to Ms. Christopher. :)

Adoresixtyfour said...

Thank you, everybody.