Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Sick Old Bird Update #5

The appetite stimulant the vet prescribed seems to be having some effect--Ms. Christopher still isn't eating much when she puts her head in the bowl and seem to still be having some difficulty chewing, but she's going back to the bowl with greater frequency (even after I shoot a syringe of food down her throat) as well as spending more time at the water dish. She's even gone back to batting the water dish with her paw to get the water moving before she drinks it. And last night, she had a firm bowel movement for the first time in at least a week. Who knew I could get so excited about cat shit?

I'd feel more confident if she were eating more on her own, if her strength were to return (I have to lift her to the bed at night) and if her litter pan deposits stayed solid (her second one last night was loose again...dammit). But we're hanging in there. Thanks again for all the good wishes and prayers. Let's hope that, when I take her back to the vet Saturday, she's put on some weight--the vet and I would both feel better.

7 comments:

turtle tracks said...

I highly recommend investing in one of those drinking fountains they sell at Petco (or Petsmart). My cats LOVE these things. Over the years, we've purchased four of them to keep the masses happy. It's a really great thing to have for senior cats because it encourages them to drink more. Get the kind that has a steady stream of water pouring out, rather than one where the water pours down the side. Cats like streams better.

I'm not sure if this will help with her appetite, but I know that it is important for old kitties (especially ones with renal issues) to stay hydrated.

JB said...

I'm still praying for the lady. I still feel that she will have a full recovery. Stay strong, bro.

Adoresixtyfour said...

Katie, I've seriously considered one of those drinking fountains--one of my best friends has one for her geriatric kitty, and kitty seems to love it--but have always been offput by the price. Then again, I've already dropped over a grand on Christopher's medical bills, so what's another $70?

JB, I'll take all the prayers I can get. We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow, and I'm extremely apprehensive about it, even though I've done everything the vet told me to do. I could use some goon news.

turtle tracks said...

It is a bit pricey for something that's basically a fish tank without the benefit of fish, but it's really good for the kitties. You're right: what's another $70?

Good luck at the vet tomorrow. I'll be sending happy thoughts to the old gal. Keep us posted.

Adoresixtyfour said...

Thanks, Katie.

belsum said...

Parents get excited about their offspring's poop all the time. It goes with the territory.

turtle tracks said...

Anytime, Ed.