Monday, October 6, 2008

Sick Old Bird Update #4

I took her to the appointment with the vet Saturday morning, but this time the news wasn't so rosy.

She'd lost more weight--nearly a pound since the last visit two weeks ago--and blood tests showed that she's slightly anemic and still has elevated liver values. It wasn't all bad--her temperature is normal, her mouth has healed fine, and the vet could feel no swelling in her throat or abdomen.

Honestly? The vet isn't sure what the problem is. If her liver were really going downhill, Christopher would be in much worse shape than she is. But she needs to start eating pronto, so the vet prescribed an appetite stimulant along with an antibiotic in case there's inflammation in the jaw preventing her from chewing properly.

And? I need to get at least half a can of the special food into her a day. That means lots more time spent with the syringe. And I get to stuff pills into her. Score!

When I got home Saturday, I cried. A lot. I had so hoped that Chris had turned the corner and was headed in the right direction. When I got up Sunday morning, though, my resolve had reasserted itself. This week will need to be about turning Chris around. Stop the weight loss. Eliminate the anemia. Get over the hump, then leave the hump in our dust.

There's no thought of giving up here--not from me, and not from the lady herself.

We go back to the vet again this Saturday. Any prayers offered in the meantime will be appreciated.

3 comments:

JB said...

A good cry often works wonders for the human spirit. An overflow of fear and sadness needs a healthy outlet. Crying does the trick. All my love and prayers to you and the grande dame.

superbadfriend said...

I cried for you dear. Your voice on the phone was heartbreaking. We haven't stopped praying for you both.

hang in there.

xoxo

turtle tracks said...

Aw, Ed. Hugs. I'm confident she'll perk up once you get the appetite stimulant into her system. You two will be just fine.