Thursday, August 28, 2008

Foxy Lady

Yesterday was Wednesday and, therfor, not Bring Your Action Figure to Work Day.

However, this week has been trying, as all weeks before and after major holidays are at my workplace--we get Labor Day off, but still wind up working just as many hours as we would have had we come in on Monday--so a co-worker and I called an emergency Bring Your Action Figure to Work Day, with me providing the figures (because, let's face it, I own more toys than damn near everyone else I know).

For my co-worker, I brought a gorilla figure that somehow managed to survive the Great Toy Purge of my youth, when Mom decided that I was too old to own so many action figures and "suggested" that I "donate" them to the family next door, which had less money than we did (though we were far from wealthy) and seven kids to our two. (To this day, Mom claims I agreed to this. My memory, fuzzy as it can be, begs to differ.) The gorilla is about eight inches tall and has a button on its back that used to make his arms move back and forth in anger; this button now barely moves the arms and is more likely to make them drop to his sides in weary resignation.

For my own desk, though, I brought the lovely lady above.

She's a Charlie's Angels doll--most specifically Jaclyn Smith, the only Angel to stay for the entire run of the series. I have no idea whether or not her rather Gypsy-like outfit is original or not. I bought her along with four other dolls on eBay from a seller whose grandmother, who had just passed away, was a doll collector (rather than a Charlie's Angels fan in particular) and liked to make little outfits for some of the dolls. So the outfit could have been homemade, filched from another doll or an authorized set of clothing.

Whatever--she looks good, and my co-workers agree. More than one sang a lyric or two of "Foxy Lady" upon seeing her on my desk.

She's still on my desk, keeping an eye (two, even) on things and making sure nobody messes with me. Would you want to piss off one of Charlie's Angels? Neither would I.

1 comment:

JB said...

She is too cool, bro. I believe that she is more than capable of administering a complete ass-whipping should you need her to do so. Management in your office would be wise to treat you right while Kelly sits in her totally bodacious gypsy (tramp? thief?) drobe. Can she be my snuggle mate at HMB?

At least you knew what your mom had in mind to do with your stuff. My mom just went on one of her infamous spring cleaning furies and unceremoniously threw out my boyhood funstuff along with some old blankets and such. I guess I should have taken better the loss of my first Monopoly game, GI Joe action figure, and 37 mint-condition Archie Comics from the 70s (sniff) given that I was an adult when Mom went cleaning-crazy that day, but I was a little miffed and a lot sad.