Thursday, July 3, 2008

Friday Is the 4th of July...

...which means today is Bring Your Action Figure to Work Day.

Unfortunately, it's also probably the last Bring Your Action Figure to Work Day.

Apparently, some of my esteemed co-workers find the excitement surrounding Bring Your Action Figure to Work Day to be a distraction. That's understandable, to a degree. We work in a large office with low cubicle walls, and every sound made by every person in the place carries far and wide.

Consequently, every belch or fart or laugh or sneeze can be heard by everyone in the general vicinity. Such must be tolerated; they ain't making these cubicle walls any taller anytime soon, if ever. However, the excessive enthusiasm expressed over toys is optional, not something that has to be endured or suffered.

So, even though no one in management has come to me to say that those of us who enjoyed and bonded more and more every Bring Your Action Figure to Work Day, the word has been spread to those concerned. This is, after all, a workplace. We are expected to work. Expecting anything more from a place of employment than a paycheck every couple of weeks is not reasonable. Not here. Not now.

For today at least, though, my Uncle Sam figure stands vigil over my desk, with Buzz Lightyear (on loan from the son of a co-worker) standing at his side, fighting the good fight until the very end.

6 comments:

JB said...

Those buggers!

I know, I know, it's the workplace...blah, blah, blah. But c'mon, allow hard-working people a bit of leavity once a week.

If I have my way, I'll never return to private industry.

Enjoy your holiday, bro. Or should I say, enjoy your rest day?

superbadfriend said...

OMG, again. I am sitting here discussing this with Abs and Scott. We feel for you, dear.

:-(

Adoresixtyfour said...

This is nothing new. Last place I worked, I had a holiday action figure display that somebody somewhere in the office thought was "too much," and they made my supervisor (who had no problem with it at all) tell me to take it down. "Office" and "fun" are antonyms.

belsum said...

Boo: the defeaters of Bring Your Action Figure to Work Day.

Yay: Uncle Sam action figure!

Chris Hill said...

You need to have a rebellion. Make every day bring you action figure to work day, and have the action figures make a statement. You need a Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. figure.

What I don't get is how people our age got so stuck up and corporate and evil. I understand the old people not wanting to have fun. The people who grew up in the depression and had to milk cows every morning and got beaten with razor straps, I understand them being lame. They had to wear hat. I also understand baby boomers being lame, because they are baby boomers and baby boomers just generally suck. But folks our age? I don't get it.

Adoresixtyfour said...

What disturbs me, Chris, is that the industry I work in is presumed (at least from the outside) to be creative, yet our workspace is arguably the most corporate I've ever worked in--I've seen bank kiosks with more creative vibe.