Friday, July 18, 2008

As the Bat Flies

The latest--and, if the overwhelming majority of critics are to be believed, the greatest--Batman movie, The Dark Knight, hits theatres today. I probably won't see it this weekend, since multiplexes across America will be jammed with fanboys and the lines will likely snake out into the parking lot or down the block. I'll catch it either a week or two from now or will sneak in an off-hour showing instead. (I'm off work Monday, so maybe then.)

In the meantime, though, this is Friday...and Friday is, once again, Bring Your Action Figure to Work Day.

It's a quieter affair--no more loud cooing over over co-workers' wicked toys or taking group snaps on top of my workstation shelving. Instead, the figures stand on our desks, so anyone walking by can see (and, one hopes, appreciate) them, but not necessarily be distracted by them or the racket that inevitably ensued.

And before you even ask...I told my supervisor that we were doing this, and while said supervisor didn't express enthusiam for the plan, not a word was said about stopping it, either.

So The Dark Knight stands atop my twin paperclip dispensers, ready to dispense some bat-shaped justice.

A quiet victory is a victory nonetheless--and no less satisfying.

3 comments:

turtle tracks said...

Don't forget the screaming Heath Ledger fangirls. Oy gevalt.

The only action figure I have is the Pepe the Prawn Andy sent me a few years back. He goes everywhere with me. Except to work. Because I'm a jobless loser.

JB said...

Turtle, there will be at least one Heath Ledger screaming fanBOY (that will be me) joining the girls. Only I'll be very quiet about it because I'm so sad that he's gone.

And drop the "jobless loser" tag. Things happen. And then things change.

Chris Hill said...

I can't wait to see the new Batman movie. The last one was, "a real film Jack". Last time we took our brand new baby. He slept in his car seat. There is no chance of that now. He would run around the theatre shouting, "What's Batman Doing?"

Hey good work on holding the line on bring your action figure to work day. Never let the man bring you down. Unless of course the man has a huge sack of money he wants to give to you for being brought down. I never said you shouldn't sell out. Just sell out for a good price.