Friday, June 20, 2008

"Happy Friday!"

That's what I say to co-workers when I see them for the first time on the last day of the work week, usually as I'm walking in the door and to my desk.

Some of them are genuinely happy to hear me say it and respond in kind. Others are somewhat surprised--bemused, even--and smile, if only for a moment. Still others reply with snark: "Really?" "Not yet--say that again at five." "I wish."

This morning, the response has been nearly universal--nobody has wished my a "Happy Friday!" back or smiled or really done much more than growl. Yes...one of my co-workers actually growled at me for wishing her a "Happy Friday!"

Now, I'm just saying a reserved, tentative "Good morning" to the people I pass in the hall--maybe that way my head will remain on its shoulders until the end of the day.

No comments: