Monday, May 12, 2008

Lack of Drive

I don't have, nor have I ever had, a driver's license. I had a driver's permit in high school and passed Driver's Ed (just barely), but never went beyond that.

Most people express surprise, if not outright shock, when I tell them this, at least until I explain that I've lived in Chicago all my life and, therefore, have not needed to own a car. Public transportation here, spotty, dirty and unreliable as it can be, is still fairly comprehensive; there are few parts of the metropolitan area that I can't reach via CTA (city buses and trains) or Metra (suburban trains). And if I need to make a trip requiring a car or truck--say, for large amounts of groceries or furniture from that big suburban store with all the couches and chairs with virtually indecipherable Swedish names--I have plenty of kind, generous friends who will give me a lift to and from my destination.

Of course, this does hamper travel. Not that I travel much--I'm probably the least-traveled person you know (I've never been outside the U.S. and have only gone as far west as Dallas)--but when I do, I'm dependent on friends in the town I'm visiting to get me around. However, those friends usually want to show me around anyway, so this is no big deal.

Increasingly, though, I'm seriously glad that I don't have a license--or, at the very least, that I don't own a car. As I see gas prices punch holes through the ozone layer (this past weekend, I didn't see a single price lower than $4 a gallon), parking rates shoot up, parking availability decrease (especially anywhere near the lakefront) and cell phone use among drivers continue unabated, despite the city's claims that it is vigorously enforcing the cell phone ban, not a week goes by that I'm not nearly run over by some fuckwit babbling away instead of watching where they're going--last weekend, one of the drivers who almost turned me into a rather bulky hood ornament was a Chicago police officer who, presumably, was supposed to be enforcing the law that he was, at that moment, in the process of breaking.

As expensive, irritating and dangerous as driving has become in Chicago, I'm better off walking. The excercise will do me good.

2 comments:

belsum said...

I frickin' love that Dallas is your western marker! That's hilarious.

We only have one car and get the same amount of disbelief. The fact that I've used the bus since I was 14 and actually *like* riding doesn't do a whole lot to dispel the notion that we're somehow backwards. But it is really, super, extra, double hilarious to make fun of our brazenly "green" friends and point out that we're just better environmentalists than their double car driving asses. Heh.

JB said...

At least you passed Driver's Ed, bro. I never signed up (a long story you may not recall given that I told you over drinks at Cardozo's), a decision I have yet to regret.I am always proud to tell people shocked to learn that I do not drive that I've never had any problems or apprehension when travelling anywhere in this city via public trans. It's rather amusing how many people--mostly folks who didn't grow up here--will not travel outside their hood w/o being in a car. Scouting around town on foot and bus reminds me that I a true Chicago boy, born and raised just before Chitown began to lose (be robbed of?) its old school mojo. I know you feel me, bro.